Degree Works FAQs

These are general questions some pertain to advisor/faculty and some to students.

Q: What is Degree Works?

“Degree Works” is a computerized degree audit program and academic advising tool designed to assist students and advisors in reviewing degree progress.  A Web-based program, Degree Works re-organizes transcripts chronologically and categorically, easily identifying courses that have been completed and what courses are still needed in order to fulfill degree requirements.

Q: What are the benefits of using Degree Works?
Degree Works will help students:
• Determine what requirements are need in order to complete a degree.
• View individual course grades and cumulative grade-point average (GPA).
• Determine which courses have to be taken or transferred, and which ones count as electives.
• View transfer credits, waivers, and exemptions applied toward degree.
• See how coursework could be applied toward another major or concentration using the What If option.
• Estimate how many semesters it will take to graduate.
• Learn the prerequisites and co-requisites for courses by clicking on the course number.

Q:  Who can use Degree Works?
Advisors, faculty and students can use the system as an advising tool to better follow students’ progress and determine which requirements are still needed for graduation.

Q: How do I access Degree Works?
Log into myMCTC account from the Mountwest Community and Technical College home page.

Q: When can I use my Degree Works audit?
Use Degree Works Audit when:
1. Reviewing progress with an academic advisor.
2. Creating a list of questions to discuss with an advisor.
3. Identifying courses that need to be completed.
4. Selecting courses that meet degree requirements.
5. Determining a projected graduation date.
6. Choosing a major.

Q: Is Degree Works the same as a transcript?
No, Degree Works is an unofficial audit of coursework, as well as an outline of requirements still needed to complete a program of study.

Q: Can I register for classes in Degree Works?
No, Degree Works is a snapshot of courses in-progress, pre-registered, and in academic history.  Registration and drop/add are still handled through already established procedures.

Q: Can I change a major through Degree Works?
No, contact a Student Success Counselor to change a major.

Q: Does the Degree Works audit show all courses even those transferred in?
Yes, all courses transferred in from other colleges, military credit and college equivalency credits should show on your degree audit.

Q: Why doesn’t all transfer work meet requirements?
There could be two reasons.  First, the course doesn’t meet the requirements for a Mountwest CTC program of study.  Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed.

Q: Why is Degree Works not displaying a correct major or concentration?
Degree Works will not display a major or concentration until it has been declared and the Registrar’s office has updated the Banner record.

Q: What is the What If feature?
The What If function allows students and advisors to hypothetically change a major or concentration.  The What If audit will show what coursework is required for the new major or concentration, what courses have been taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still need to be taken. Please note: Transfer and course substitutions do not display in the What If feature.

Q: What if a Degree Works audit is incorrect?
Students will need to see their advisor immediately!  While everything has been done to make sure that all worksheets are correct, it would have been impossible for us to predict every unique situation or problem.  The Registrar’s office will work with you to correct any issues as soon as possible.  The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong.  These are the most common problems and solutions:
1. The major is wrong and /or the concentration doesn’t appear on the worksheet.
If this is the case, students need to contact their adviser and update their major and concentration information.  Once the information is changed in Banner, the correct information should appear on the worksheet.
2. The requirements for a major are wrong.
Look at the catalog term that appears on each of the blue bars that separate the sections of the worksheet.  This is the catalog year that we believe that the student is using to complete requirements.  If the student is actually using newer requirements, contact a Student Success Counselor to update the catalog information.  Once the changes are entered, the correct information will appear on the worksheet.
3. An advisor or department chair gave permission to substitute a course, but it’s not showing on the audit.
Talk to the advisor.  Since departments approve students’ program substitutions, most changes related to your major have not been sent to the Registrar’s Office yet.  The change will be made as soon as the Registrar’s Office receive permission to do so from your Academic Division Dean.

If none of these problems describes the situation, or if additional help is needed in identifying what’s wrong, contact the Registrar’s Office at or stop by our office.  Because some issues will require some research and possibly some reprogramming, please understand that the issue may not be able to be corrected immediately.  We do promise, though, that we will address it as quickly as possible and will contact the student by email as soon as the issue has been taken care of.

Q: The graduation application has been submitted, but Degree Works says that all requirements have not been completed. 
First, don’t panic!  If everything that advisor has instructed the student to do have been done, you should still be on track for graduation.  Contact the Advisor or Academic Success Counselor immediately.

Q: Are there requirements for graduation that Degree Works doesn’t check?
While Degree Works has been designed to check almost everything that must be complete to qualify for graduation, there may be additional requirements for specific programs that must be completed as well.  Use Degree Works in conjunction with the College Catalog and with information that advisors provides to ensure that you remain on track for graduation.  If you have questions about any additional requirement for your degree, talk with your advisor.

Q: Is a student automatically graduated if everything is complete on my Degree Works worksheet?
No.  To graduate, students must submit an application for graduation.  The Registrar’s Office will verify all degree requirements and if successfully completed the degree will be posted.

Q: How often is the data updated in Degree Works?
Degree Works data is refreshed nightly.  Any modifications made to student data in Banner (i.e. registration, change of major, change of grades, etc.) will be reflected in Degree Works within 24-48 hours.

Q:  What does the Cumulative Calculator show?
The Cumulative Calculator option on the GPA Calc tab will show what average is needed in the remaining credits to graduate with a desired GPA.

Q: What does the Desired GPA Calculator show?
The Desired GPA Calculator option on the GPA Calc tab will show various credit and grade scenarios in order for students to achieve a desired cumulative GPA.

Q: Is the calculated GPA guaranteed?
No.  This is an estimate only!

Q:  I currently keep my own notes on my advisees.  What are the benefits of switching to this new system?
With Advising Notes, any notes entered become a part of a student’s record, and any faculty or administrative staff member who has access to Degree Works can view these notes.  This allows any individual working with a student to have a more complete understanding of the student’s advising history.  It will help staff and administration to work together to hold students accountable for following through on advise that is given.  In addition, because Degree Works is a secure, web-based product therefore advising notes are easily accessed form any internet connection.

Q: Will student be able to see all the notes that are entered?
If you click the “Not Available to Student” box that appears over the note entry box, students will not be able to see the note.  If you do not check this box, students will see your note at the end of his or her worksheet.  There may be times when splitting note entry into two parts is advisable.  Any faculty or administrative staff member with access to Degree Works will be able to view all the notes on the student’s record.

Q:  I often have advising discussions with students who aren’t my assigned advisees.  Can I add notes to any student’s record?
Yes, and we encourage you to do so.

Q: Where can I get more information about how to use Degree Works?
If you have questions after reviewing Degree Works, students should see an Academic Advisor or Student Success Counselor.  Faculty, staff and administrators please contact the Registrar’s Office.


This site collects Cookie Data