Cabell-Huntington Health Department stay at Home Advisory – READ UPDATE

Aid Programs

Types of Federal Aid

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to students on the basis of financial need and do not have to be repaid. These grants are considered the foundation of Federal Financial Aid, to which aid from other federal and non-federal sources might be added. Pell Grants are only awarded to undergraduate students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. The Pell award is based on enrollment status and Pell eligibility as determined by the U.S. Department of Education. Pell eligibility is limited to 600% usage.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG)

Students who do not have a Pell eligible EFC may qualify if they have a parent or guardian who
was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in
Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11/2001. The student must have been under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part time at the time of the parent or guardian’s death. The award is equal to the amount of the maximum Federal Pell Grant adjusted by a percentage based on the Budget Control Act of 2011. Visit IASG for more information.

Federal SEOG

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is given to undergraduate students who demonstrate extreme financial need as determined by the U.S. Department of Education. Generally, students with an EFC of zero are awarded first. If funds remain after awarding the zero EFC students, students with higher’s will be considered. This fund is limited and students are encouraged to file the FAFSA prior to March 1 in order to receive priority consideration. This limited fund is generally awarded at $300 per semester to qualifying students.

Federal Work Study

This fund is available to those students who demonstrate financial need. You must come to the Financial Office to request work study. If this award is granted, you must complete employment paperwork and get a work assignment. Students are generally limited to no more than twenty hours per week at an hourly rate specified in the employment paperwork. Students may be employed on campus or may be able to request work at one of our community service work sites.

Federal Loans

There are three types of low interest Federal Loans available:

Subsidized Student Loan

A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students will not be charged any interest before entering repayment or during authorized periods of deferment. Deferment is a period during which a borrower who meets certain criteria may suspend making loan payments. The federal government “subsidizes”; the interest during these periods. Attending school at least half time (six semester hours) is considered a period of deferment. Students must be enrolled and attending at least half time in order to qualify for a subsidized loan. There is a time limit on subsidized loan usage. For more information please visit the subsidized loan usage page.

Unsubsidized Student Loan

An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. Students accrue interest charges from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. Disbursement is the release of loan funds to the school for delivery to the borrower. Payments on unsubsidized loans may also be deferred but, interest will continue to accrue until the loan is repaid in full. Students must be enrolled and attending at least half time (six semester hours) in order to qualify for an unsubsidized loan.

Parent PLUS Loan

Direct PLUS loans are provided to parents to assist with the costs of undergraduate school expenses. Parent Plus loans are unsubsidized and will accumulate interest until paid in full. The qualifying student must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) semester hours, be a financial dependent of the parent and the parent must agree to a credit check. (Parents may borrow up to the cost of attendance for a dependent student).

Types of West Virginia State Aid

WV Higher Education Grant

The West Virginia Higher Education Grant is a need-based financial aid program designed to ensure West Virginia students who have financial need are given an opportunity to pursue post-secondary education. In order to qualify for a West Virginia Higher Education Grant, a student must meet all eligibility requirements which includes GPA, residency, and other requirements as determined by legislative rule. Renewal students must also complete the required number of hours. For priority consideration file the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1, but before April 15 at For more information visit CFWV WV Higher Education Grant.

WV Invests Grant

The West Virginia Invests Grant may pay tuition and fees, not to include program and course fees, for qualifying West Virginia Residents. WV Invests Grant is a “last dollar award”. Last dollar means that the Grant may pay tuition and fees not covered by federal grants or other state grants and scholarship programs. To see if you may qualify visit: WV Invests.

Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student Grant

The goal of the Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student Grant Program (HEAPS) is to encourage and enable West Virginia students who demonstrate financial need to continue their education on a part-time basis at the post-secondary level. Applicants must submit the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 and demonstrate financial need as well as meeting other eligibility requirements. Visit CFWV HEAPS for additional information.

PROMISE Scholarship

The PROMISE Scholarship is a merit-based financial aid program for West Virginia residents. Students who achieve certain academic goals are eligible to receive funds to help pay for college. Eligible high school graduates will receive annual awards up to $4,750 to cover the cost of tuition and mandatory fees at public or independent institutions in West Virginia. Students must complete the PROMISE Scholarship Application (Application for State-Level Financial Aid Programs) and the FAFSA must be received by the Federal Student Aid Processing Center on or before March 1 and meet the condition for processing. For more information visit CFWV Promise.

WV Engineering, Science and Technology Scholarship

The West Virginia Engineering, Science and Technology Scholarship Program is a student financial aid program designed to enable and encourage academically talented individuals to pursue careers in the fields of engineering, science and technology. Scholarships, not to exceed $3,000 per academic year, are awarded on the basis of academic qualifications and interest in the fields of engineering, science and technology. For more information visit, WV Engineering, Science and Technology Scholarship.

For more information and requirements for state-level financial aid, go to

Institutional Aid


With the help of generous private donors, Mountwest Community & Technical College offers a variety of student scholarships based on academic achievement, community involvement, leadership, area of study and financial need .

For a listing of institutional scholarships and to apply, please visit our scholarship portal here and review our listings on the  Foundation scholarships page .

Tuition Waivers

Mountwest offers scholarships/tuition waivers for the following students:
• Members of the National Guard (receive resident tuition rates)
• Employee, employee’s spouse and/or employee’s dependent children
• Children and spouses of law enforcement, firefighter, National Guard, Reserve or Active Duty
military personnel killed in the line of duty
• West Virginia residents at least 65 years old
• High school graduates in foster care

Metro Tuition Waivers

A limited number of metro tuition waivers are available to incoming freshmen from Gallia and
Lawrence county high schools in Ohio. Students must apply through their high school

The following Kentucky counties are assessed at WV Resident rates:

Boyd, Lawrence, Martin and Pike.

For questions, please contact the Mountwest Office of Financial Aid at 304.710.3370 or .

This site collects Cookie Data