Cabell-Huntington Health Department stay at Home Advisory – READ UPDATE

Mountwest: FAQs

Your source for answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions about Mountwest Community & Technical College.

Academic Advising

Q. How do I receive academic advising?
Located at the Student Services One-Stop, Room 101, academic advising is available to students who have less than 24 credit hours. During advance and open registration periods, academic advising is provided to students through scheduled appointments or walk-ins.

Q. When should I see an advisor?
The best time to see an advisor is prior to advance registration. By visiting an advisor early, it ensures a greater chance of you receiving classes that best fit into your schedule and adequate time is spent with you to review your personal, career and educational goals.

Q. Is it mandatory for me to see an advisor?
Mountwest students with 24 hours, not including developmental hours, and who have a GPA of 2.0 or better will not be required to have mandatory advising. Students with more than 24 Mountwest credits, and have a GPA greater than a 2.0 may register themselves and are encouraged to make frequent visits with their faculty advisor or program coordinator to ensure proper course selection and career advice.

Q. How do I prepare for an advising session?
Please bring the following:

Make a list of answers to the following questions:

  • What career do I want?
  • What are my educational and life goals?
  • Are there specific times of day when I can’t take classes?

You and the advisor will review the program requirements and discuss elements to include:

  • Courses required based on your CAP assessment
  • Program requirements
  • Graduation requirements
  • What it means to be in good academic standing

Bring a pen and paper.
Have a tentative class schedule filled out drop/add registration form.

  • Due to course closings, we cannot guarantee you will get your tentative schedule. You may wish to have several class choices ready.
  • Course listings, including closed courses, are listed on the myMCTC Course Lookup Page.
  • Registration forms are available in the Student Services One Stop located on the first floor in Room 101.

If you already have a schedule or partial schedule, bring a detail copy of it with you, which is available on myMCTC.

Academic Probation

Q. What will happen if my grades are poor?
You must keep a certain grade point average to avoid being placed on Academic Probation. If you have a deficit of 1 to 19 quality points, you will be placed on probation. This also applies if you transfer to the college with a deficit. If you are on probation, you will not be able to schedule your classes or register without the approval of the Mountwest Community and Technical College Advising Center.

The following are guidelines for students with deficits:
1. If you have a cumulative deficit of 20 quality points or more at the end of a term, you will be suspended for a minimum period of one (1) semester.

2. The application of a transfer student suspended from any college shall not be considered for transfer until his/her period of suspension has expired.

3. You may petition immediately upon notice of academic suspension from the Mountwest Community and Technical College if illness, accident, or other valid circumstances can be verified as the cause of poor academic performance.

4. If you have been academically suspended, you may attend summer sessions without a written petition; however, if you are on academic hold, you must receive permission from the Mountwest Community and Technical College Advising Center to complete the registration process.

5. If you are suspended for poor scholarship and are subsequently readmitted, you will be required to do the following:

  • Register for maximum of 13 approved hours.
  • Maintain a minimum 2.00 average each semester following readmission.
  • Reduce the deficit by no fewer than 6 quality points each two semesters.
  • Adhere to any additional requirements imposed.

6. Gains made as a result of repeating a class to replace grades (D and F repeat rule during first 60 hours) are included in achieving a 2.00 grade point average and deficit reduction.

7. Students on probation must earn a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher during every semester they are on probation. Students who fail to achieve a 2.0 GPA or higher while on Academic Probation or who accumulate or exceed the quality point deficiency listed for the GPA hours will be suspended for one regular semester (the Summer Terms do not count as a term of suspension).

Q. If I am on probation, what do I have to do?
Students who are on probation must meet with an advisor in the Student Services One Stop to ensure their understanding of the College Suspension/Probation Policy and to formulate a retention plan that might include repeating the courses, limiting hours, taking REA 138: Academic Skills Review, etc. The goal is to avoid suspension and to facilitate good academic standing.

ACT Scores

Q. Do I have to take the ACT/SAT to be admitted?
You do not have to have ACT/SAT scores to be admitted to Mountwest. All new students must take the CAP assessment unless they are transferring in a 100-level Math and English from an accredited college/university, or have taken the ACT/SAT or Compass in the past five years. Click here for more information on the placement exams, or call 304-710-3140 (800-642-3437) to schedule the assessment.


Q. How do I get admitted to Mountwest Community & Technical College?
In order to be admitted to Mountwest, you must fill out an Admission Application, which can be downloaded from the Admissions section, or it can be picked up at the Admissions Desk at Student Services One Stop.  If you apply online at the admission fee will be waived.  If you would like to contact a peer coach at 301-710-3060, they can help walk you through the enrollment process.

Q. If I didn’t attend classes last semester, do I have to be readmitted to Mountwest?
If you have not been enrolled in any classes at Mountwest for at least one (1) year, you must apply for readmission.  If during your absence from Mountwest you attended another institution, you must apply as a transfer student and may obtain an application from at the Admissions Desk located on the first floor at Student Services One Stop.

Q. Can I transfer to Mountwest from another school?
If you have completed college credit from another college or university, you will need to provide Mountwest with an official transcript from any previous institution(s).

Q. Can I get credit for life or work experience?
The faculty at Mountwest believe what you know is more important than how it is learned. If you can demonstrate or document knowledge and skills reasonably comparable to Mountwest courses, equal credit may be awarded. Credit may be awarded by examination, through accepted standards, or for knowledge and skills. A counselor can explain these options to you.


Q. Where do I get my books?
Our bookstore, conveniently located on the first floor across from the Student Services One-Stop, has books, supplies, gifts and much more. Textbooks are listed by course name and number so you may want to bring your schedule along when shopping. Textbooks may be bought or rented. It is best to buy your books early so you can pick up the cheaper used editions. Keep your receipt, and don’t mark in your books until you’re sure you’re going to stay in the class. If you receive financial aid you may be eligible to receive a book voucher from the cashier’s office to pay for your textbooks. You can visit the bookstore online at


Q. How do I view my bill?
Your electronic bill can be viewed by logging into your myMCTC Self-Service, selecting ‘Student and Financial Aid Information’, ‘Payment and Account Information’, and ‘View Your Electronic Bill.’ You should then see all bills that have been generated for you.  Be sure to select the most recent bill.  You can also view your Account Summary by Term by selecting ‘Account Summary by Term’ instead of ‘View Your Electronic Bill’ under the ‘Payment and Account Information’ screen.  Billing statements are not mailed out.  Failure to receive a billing statement will not be accepted as a reason for missing the payment deadline.

Q. Is there a payment plan?
If you are unable to pay in full, Mountwest offers payment plans. Contact the Cashier’s Office for information, 304-710-3480.  A 10% deferred payment participation fee would be charged to the student account.  Payment plans are only offered for the fall and spring semesters.

There is also a Financial Aid Payment Plan for students who have completed all requirements for Financial Aid but whose aid will not pay to their account by the tuition deadline.  Eligibility for this payment plan must be determined by a Financial Aid counselor who must send an email to stating that the student is eligible for this payment plan.  It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that their financial aid pays to their account by the extended due date stated on the payment plan agreement or their classes will be dropped for nonpayment and a late fee will be charged.

Q. How can I pay?
Payments can be made at the Cashier’s Office windows by cash, check, or money order.  Debit/credit cards are NOT accepted at the Cashier’s Office windows.  Debit/credit card payments can be made by logging onto your myMCTC Self-Service, selecting ‘Student and Financial Aid Information’, ‘Payment and Account Information’, and ‘Make secure on-line credit card payments.’  There will be two screens of information for you to fill out, including your credit card information and payment amount.  Make sure that you get a confirmation number at the end and print for your records.  Payments may also be mailed to:
Office of Business Services
ATTN:  Cashier’s Office
Mountwest Community & Technical College
PO Box 1539
Huntington, WV 25716-1539

Q. When is tuition due?
On average, tuition is due 2 to 3 weeks before class starts each semester.  If the student has not satisfactorily taken care of their account, they will be dropped from all classes for non-payment.  Fees will be charged for non-enrollment.

Q. What if my tuition is covered by a third party?
If your tuition is covered by a third party, such as WV, KY, OH, or Division of Rehabilitation Workforce, it is your responsibility to work with your third party contact and the Cashier’s Office to ensure that the Cashier’s Office has received the appropriate paperwork in order for your tuition to be covered.  It is important to understand that it is the student’s responsibility to ensure the appropriate paperwork is received by the Cashier’s Office prior to the tuition due date for each semester to avoid being assessed a late fee or being dropped due to nonpayment.

Q. What if I have financial aid?
It is your responsibility to ensure with the Cashier’s Office that your financial aid is showing on your student account as authorized prior to the tuition due date for each semester.  Failure to do so could result in your account being assessed a late fee and your courses being dropped due to nonpayment.

Q. What if I am dropped for nonpayment?
You will have to pay the $25 late fee that has been assessed to your account for failure to make payment by the due date.  If you wish to be reinstated into your courses, you will have to pay a $50 reinstatement fee to the Cashier’s Office and then request reinstatement into your courses with the Registrar’s Office.

Q. When will I receive my financial aid refund?
Once the semester starts, refunds for overpayment are posted to student accounts within 4 to 5 weeks after classes start.  All refunds are handled through BankMobile Disbursements.  You will receive an email at your MCTC email whenever a refund is available for you.  It is important that you check your MCTC email regularly.  If you do not know how to access your MCTC email, please contact the IT Help Desk.

Q. How will I receive any refunds due to me?
If you are due a refund, you will receive a notification from BankMobile Disbursements. For more information about BankMobile, visit this link:

Q. Can I get a book voucher?
Book vouchers are available to students who have authorized financial aid available above their tuition.  Book vouchers are only available during certain dates that will be posted on the MCTC website at the beginning of each semester. They are available through the Cashier’s Office located in the Student Services One Stop.

Q. What if I decide I do not want to take a class/classes at MCTC?
It is your responsibility to drop any course(s) you do not wish to take to avoid receiving a failing grade for the course.  Failure to attend does not drop you from your courses or reduce your liability for paying your tuition.  Courses must be dropped prior to the start of the semester in order to receive a 100% refund of tuition charges.  There are no refunds for partial withdrawal from course(s).

Q. Can I have change?
We can only provide change to those students needing exact change for the Admissions Fee.  We cannot provide change for the vending machines or the parking meters.

Q. How much is the graduation fee?
The graduation fee is $20, which can be paid in the Cashier’s Office by cash, check, or money.  A check may also be mailed in.  If you wish to pay by credit card, please notify the Cashier’s Office to place the fee on your account, so that you can make the payment online.  In addition to paying the fee, you must fill out a graduation application. Applications may be picked up at the Student Services One-Stop, Room 101.

Q. How much is the transcript fee?
The transcript fee is $8, which can be paid in the Cashier’s Office by cash, check or money order.  You must also fill out a transcript request with the Office of the Registrar. [link to transcript request form]

If you have questions about your tuition and fees or any financial holds on your account, feel free to visit us at the Cashier’s Office, call us at 304-710-3480, or email us at

Developmental Classes

Q. What is a “developmental” course?
“Developmental” courses help students gain basic skills knowledge important to the understanding required in later course work. Basic skills instruction is important to students who need to learn or review procedures in reading, writing, mathematics and science.

Q. Why does a student have to take a developmental course?
Students’ placement test scores in English and mathematics are used to determine their achievement levels. Students with identified scores take appropriate basic skills courses.

Q. Is there any way a student can still try to test out of developmental courses?
Mountwest offers CAP assessment exams in language, reading, and mathematics by appointments throughout the academic year. Assessment exams are $10 each, or $25 for all three, and are administered electronically. Contact a peer coach at 304-710-3060 or visit Room 233 to schedule your appointment.

Q. Will a developmental course count toward a student’s graduation?
Developmental courses are graded credit/non-credit (CR/NC) and are recorded on the transcript. These courses enable students to take subsequent college-level work. The hours and credit earned in developmental courses do not count toward the hours and grade point requirements for graduation; however, the courses count toward full-time status and eligibility for financial aid.

Q. Are there support services to assist a student with developmental course work and other college-level courses?
The Mountwest Academic Skills Center offers instruction by computer programs, videos, cassettes, programmed materials, and teacher assistance. Most developmental courses require a co-requisite course or supplemental visits to the Academic Skills Center as part of their standard course requirements. These visits will be prescribed by the instructor and will focus on the area where each student needs additional instruction. Academic Skills Center hours are as follows:

Monday-Thursday:  8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Friday:  8 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.

Underprepared students might also benefit by taking the following courses:
REA 098 – Reading Improvement
REA 110 – Math Study Skills
REA 138 – Academic Skills Review

REA 138 does count toward the hours and grade point average required for graduation.

Final Exams

Q. When are final exams?
The exact dates and times for final exams are listed on the Registrar’s Web page and may be accessed by visiting the Exam Schedule page. [These will need to be linked]

Q. What if I am absent for a final exam?
Students are required to take all regular examinations. If a student attends a course throughout the semester and is absent from the final examination without permission, the instructor counts the examination as zero and reports the final grade of “F.” If the absence is the result of illness or some other valid reason beyond the student’s control, the instructor reports a grade of “I.” In all cases, the student must verify the reason for the absence.

Q. Can I reschedule a final exam?
If a student has final exam conflicts or has three or more final exams scheduled for the same day, he/she should follow these steps:

  • Pick up a “Final Examination Rescheduling Form” from the Mountwest Community & Technical College Advising Center.
  • Fill in the top part of the form in which he/she must show his/her complete final exam schedule.
  • Take this to your division dean or his/her designee for verification.
  • Take the verified form to one of his/her class instructors and attempt to make a rescheduling agreement (date, time, and place).
  • If the student and instructor reach an agreement, the instructor should sign the form, keep a copy, and send a copy to the division dean.
  • If an agreement cannot be reached, the instructor should note this fact and sign the form. In this case, the student should try to reach an agreement with the instructor of another class in conflict.
  • If no instructors agree to reschedule and the student has all comments and signatures on the form, take the form to the Vice President for Student Services.
  • The division dean or his/her designee will determine if an exam should be rescheduled, and if so, the time, date, and place the student and the instructor will receive written notice of any rescheduling.
  • The Provost’s ruling can only be modified by an agreement between the instructor and the student.
  • If the student rejects a ruling by the Provost, he/she thereby agrees to take each exam at the scheduled time.

Note: The Provost will not consider any form submitted less than one week before the first day of finals or any form that is incomplete. An instructor is not required to reschedule a final exam at the student’s request.

Financial Aid

Q. How do I get financial aid?
All students must complete the FAFSA in order to receive financial aid. This form must be completed every academic year and is available beginning January 1 for the next school year. The processing time on the FAFSA is 4-6 weeks, so early processing is highly recommended. For more information on applying for aid, please visit or contact the Office of Financial Aid at 304-710-3370.

Q. Is there financial aid for part-time students?
There is a program called HEAPS (Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student) grant program available for part-time students who are eligible. For more information on applying for aid, please visit or contact the Office of Financial Aid at 304-710-3370.

Q. What is the difference between a grant, a scholarship and a loan?
A grant is a gift that does not have to be repaid; it is based on the student’s financial need. A scholarship is an achievement award which is usually based on academic grades, abilities, skills, test scores, class rank, etc. Loans are funds borrowed by the student and/or parent. In most cases, loans must be repaid with an interest charge during a specified repayment period.

Q. Are scholarships available to Mountwest students?
There are scholarships available to Mountwest students. If they meet the requirements established by the Office of Financial Aid, students are eligible to receive the academic scholarships offered through the college. For more information, visit our Scholarships & Tuition Waivers page.

Q. I don’t see anything missing on my financial aid requirements. What should I do?
Please re-read the information on the site. You may only need to open your Electronic Award on myMCTC and accept or decline the funds. Electronic awards should be available after April 15 each year.

Q. Is there a maximum income level that will make me ineligible for financial aid?
No. Income level does not automatically disqualify you for financial aid. Other variables, such as the number in the family and the number attending college are taken into consideration.

Q. What are the factors that determine need?
Most people have the misconception that income is the only factor in determining need. Other variables are considered such as: family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, and various allowances to income and assets.

Q. What are my chances of receiving financial aid?
The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some form of financial assistance will be offered at the school you choose. The assistance may include student or parent loans.

Q. In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?
Yes. In order to receive consideration for all programs you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. You may file the FAFSA beginning January 1, but no later than April 15.

Q. What happens if I fail to submit my electronic award?
Students who wish to accept student loans must accept the loans on the electronic award and submit the acceptance.

Q. What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?
All paperwork should be submitted to the Mountwest Office of Student Services by June 30 for fall, by November 30 for spring and by April 15 for summer.

Q. I missed the deadline; can I still apply for financial aid?
Yes, you must be enrolled at the time funds are disbursed and you must be making academic progress. You must be prepared to cover your expenses from your own resources if you apply late.

Q. Why didn’t I receive a financial award?
If you do not receive an electronic award, you should contact the Office of Student Services. We may not have received an electronic copy of your SAR or there may be problems with your SAR. You may contact us at 304-710-3370 or ask a financial aid counselor. The Office of Financial Aid is located in the Student Services One-Stop, Room 101.

Q. What is Mountwest Community & Technical College’s Title IV code?

Q. Will I be required to submit additional forms to Mountwest other than the FAFSA?
Possibly, if you are selected for review in a process called verification we will contact you via e-mail about additional paperwork requirements.

Q. Will it affect my federal financial aid if I drop a class during the semester?
If your federal aid has paid to your account, your award will not be reduced. However, you may violate satisfactory academic progress (SAP) rules if you continually register and drop classes. If your aid has not paid to your account, your Pell grant will be reduced.

Q. Will it affect my West Virginia Higher Education Grant or Promise Scholarship if I drop a class during the semester?
Yes. Students receiving West Virginia Higher Education Grants must complete 24 semester hours each fall and spring. Dropping a class may affect your eligibility for the next aid year. Students receiving Promise Scholarships must complete 30 semester hours each fall, spring and summer. Dropping a class may affect your eligibility for the next aid year.

Q. Will my aid change if I change enrollment?
Possibly. If you change enrollment prior to your aid payment, please contact our office at 304-710-3370 or ask a financial aid counselor to determine how your aid may be affected if you drop below full-time status (less than 12 hours) or less than part-time (six hours).

Q. Do I need a separate form to apply for a Student Loan?
You need only to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All new students must do loan entrance counseling. You will be notified if you need to complete a loan promissory note.

Q. Do I need a separate form to apply for a Parent Loan?
Yes. Parent Loans are credit worthy loans. All parents who accept a parent loan (PLUS) should complete a credit check as soon as possible.

Q. How long after I complete my Ford Federal Loan promissory note before I can receive the money?
If all necessary paperwork is complete, a check for any refund due will be mailed to the student’s local address in approximately 7-10 working days or applied directly to the Higher One card.

Q. How can I apply for work study?
Complete the Federal Work Study Application, available in the Office of Financial Aid. If you demonstrate financial need, you may qualify.

Q. Do I need to submit tax returns to the Office of Student Services?
Only if our office sends an e-mail requesting the forms to be submitted as part of the verification process. We must have Tax Return Transcripts directly from the IRS and can no longer accept personal copies of the 1040 forms.

Q. What does it take to be considered an independent student?
Any one of the following will result in a student being considered independent for federal student aid programs:

  • born before 01/01/1991 (for the 2014-2015 aid year)
  • a ward of the court
  • both parents deceased
  • a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • legal dependents (other than a spouse) for which they provide ½ of support, married at the time of filing
  • emancipated minor
  • homeless youth
  • in legal guardianship while a minor

Students who do not meet the criteria of an Independent student may ask for a dependency override. The US Department of Education feels that students under 24 years of age should be assisted by their parents in educational expenses. You cannot live with your parents and request a dependency override. A Financial Aid Committee will review your documents and notify you by letter of the decision. You will be asked to provide the following:

  • a letter, on letterhead, from clergy, social worker or a counselor indicating why there is an estrangement from parents
  • income information including tax returns
  • Verification Worksheet or other pertinent income information
  • the Dependency Override Form

Q. If my parents are separated or divorced, whose income is reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
The parent you live with should complete the FAFSA. If the parent you live with has remarried, the income of that parent and their new spouse (step-parent) must be used.

Q. What is the interest rate on my student loans?
Borrowers with loans made prior to July 1, 2006, will have a variable rate adjusted annually (July 1). The interest rate will not exceed 8.25%. Borrowers with loans guaranteed after July 1, 2006, will have a fixed rate interest, please see the chart for interest information on the Loan Information Page. Subsidized loans are need-based aid and interest does not accrue while you are in school. Unsubsidized loans are not need-based and the interest will accrue on a quarterly basis. You will receive a quarterly interest statement from the Loan Servicing Center. You may pay the interest if you choose but, you are not required to do so.

Q. What is the interest rate on my parent loans?
Borrowers with loans made prior to July 1, 2006, will have a variable rate adjusted annually (July 1). The interest rate will not exceed 9%. Borrowers with loans guaranteed after July 1, 2006, will have a fixed rate interest of 8.5%. Parent loans are repayable 60 days after the loan has been fully disbursed.

Q. Is the money I receive from financial assistance programs taxable?
Any scholarships, benefits, fellowships, or grants (gift aid) received from Mountwest Community & Technical College or any other source that, when combined exceed the cost of tuition, fees, books, and required equipment and supplies, are considered taxable income. Loans are not included. Since you are required to report taxable awards to the I.R.S. as income, you should keep a detailed record of all expenditures for tuition, fees, books, and required equipment and supplies. Housing and food are considered non-exempt, so money spent on these items is subject to income tax. For more detailed information, consult a personal tax advisor. Federal Work Study earnings are taxable and must be reported on tax returns.

Q. What should I do if my family’s financial circumstances change after I apply for financial aid?
If a family’s financial circumstances have changed due to death of a parent, divorce, separation, or loss of employment, they should contact the Office of Student Services. Special circumstances may include:

  • A 30% reduction in income due to changes in employment from last year to this year
  • Excessive medical expenses not covered by insurance
  • Change in marital status due to divorce or separation
  • Death of a primary wage earner

You may be asked to provide:

  • Base year income information, layoff or termination notices, projected income information for the current year, Verification Worksheet and other income information in support of your request
  • Copies of medical bills and evidence that payment arrangements have been made
  • Copies of divorce decrees, W-2’s or other income information as required
  • Death certificate of primary wage earner and W-2s or other income information as required
  • The Special Circumstances Form

Q. Will the financial aid offered at one school transfer to another school?
No. Financial aid does not transfer from school to school. Students planning to transfer to another school should contact the Office of Student Services at both schools to find out what is required.

Q. Is there any aid available if I decide to attend summer school and how do I apply?
If you plan to attend the summer sessions, you must notify our office.

Q. What do I need to do if I need to take a class at another school while attending Mountwest Community & Technical College?
Mountwest Community & Technical College (the home school) students may choose to take classes at another institution (the host school). You must request approval to take credit as a transient student from the Office of Registrar at Mountwest Community & Technical College. If your request is approved, you will receive a letter of approval to earn credits as a transient student. The Office of Financial Aid at Mountwest Community & Technical College must have a copy of the transient approval letter in order to request a consortium agreement from the host school. The host school must confirm your enrollment before you can receive your financial aid.

Q. What happens if I list no income on the FAFSA application?
If you listed zero income on your FAFSA application, you may be selected for Verification.


Q. What are the requirements for graduation?
Students must apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester or term in which they intend to complete graduation requirements, which include the following:

  • Earn a minimum of 60 credit hours excluding developmental hours
  • Have a Mountwest GPA of 2 .0 of higher
  • Have earned a C or better in ENL 111 or equivalent
  • Have a minimum of the last 15 college-level credit hours earned at Mountwest
  • Complete any program specific additional requirements

Q. When should I apply for graduation?
Due dates for each graduation are listed in the current Schedule of Courses and also in the Academic Calendar section of the Mountwest Community and Technical College catalog as well as on the web. To apply, students must:

  • Go to the Cashier’s Office located in the Student Services One-Stop and pay the graduation fee.
  • Bring a copy of the receipt to the Mountwest Community and Technical College Registrar’s desk at the Student Services One Stop.
  • After presenting a copy of your receipt, complete the Graduation Application and the Graduate Survey.

Q. Is there a fee to apply for graduation?
The graduation application fee for A.A. and A.A.S. degrees is $40. There is no graduation application fee for certificates.

Q. When are graduation ceremonies and can I participate?
Mountwest observes one commencement exercise and three graduation dates during an academic year. The official graduation dates are:  (a) the last day of Summer Session C; (b) the last day of final examinations for the fall semester; and (c) day of commencement for the spring semester.

Students who complete all requirements for a degree at any time other than the above dates will graduate on the next successive date. Students will not graduate on any dates other than those noted above. Students who graduate at the end of the summer term or the end of the fall term of an academic year are invited to join the spring graduates in the commencement exercises.


Q. Is there on-campus housing available for Mountwest students?
On-housing is not available. Please contact the Office of Student Services at 304-710-3140 for a list of rental apartments close to campus.

Information Services

Q. How do I obtain my username and password to log in to a campus computer?
A username and password can be acquired by visiting the IT Help Desk in room 108 of the main campus building.  Students who are not commuting to campus can contact the Help Desk during our normal hours (Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) at 304-710-3470.

Q. I forgot my email account (username/password) information. How do I recover it?
E-mail account information can be acquired by visiting the IT Help Desk in room 108 of the main campus building. Students who are not commuting to campus can contact the Help Desk during our normal hours (Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) at (304) 710-3470.

Q. I have attempted to log in to myMCTC Self-Service and it now says, “pin disabled.” What do I do?
To have your myMCTC pin reset visit the IT Help Desk in room 108 of the main campus building.  Students who are not commuting to campus can contact the Help Desk during our normal hours (Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) at (304) 710-3470.

Q. I have been using my e-mail, but now I can’t log in.  How do I reset my e-mail password reset?
Password resets can be requested by visiting the IT HelpDesk in Room 108 of the main campus building.  Students who are not commuting to campus can contact the Help Desk during our normal hours (Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) at (304) 710-3470.

Q. I am a new student starting an online class, I am concerned that when I try to access blackboard there are no classes or my access is denied. What do I need to do?
Access to online classes is not available until the morning a semester starts.  If after the start of classes you are still having issues with access to online classes please contact the Help Desk during our normal hours (Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) at (304) 710-3470 or by visiting room 108 in the main MCTC building.

Q. I lost my schedule. How can I get a copy?
You can access you schedule by logging on to the myMCTC Self-Service page using your MCTCID and PIN.  Once logged in click the Student & Financial Aid Information link.  Then click the Registration link followed by the link labeled Student Schedule by Day & Time.  Your schedule will then be displayed

Q. I need a student ID. How do I go about getting one?
To have an ID made visit the Student Services One Stop during our normal hours (Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) located in room 101 of the main MCTC building.

Q. I lost my student ID. Can I get a new one?
To have a replacement ID made visit the Student Services One Stop during our normal hours (Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.) located in room 101 of the main MCTC building at a cost of $20.

Q. I can’t access myMCTC. What should I do?
Contact the IT HelpDesk at 304-710-3470.

Online Courses

Q. What are online courses?
Students use the Internet for all coursework. Courses are taught with a course management software package that allows communication between students and instructors by email and/or through web-based discussion forums or chat sessions. There are no on campus meetings or real time-meetings. Some instructors may require proctored tests and scheduled face-to-face meetings. Also, there are a limited number of online classes taught each semester.

NOTE: Online course fees are assessed at a flat rate. This rate is assessed for ALL online courses and is separate from tuition assessed for any other courses you may be enrolled in. If you are taking traditional classroom courses and add an online course, you will be charged the online course fees in addition to the tuition for your traditional classroom courses.


Q. How do I print?
In order to utilize on-campus printing services, students must add credit to their PrintService Account that is associated with their username and password. Visit the Cashier’s Office in the Student Services One-Stop, Room 101, to increase your Print Account balance (from $1.00 up to $20.00) any time during normal business hours.

Q. Where can I print?
Printing services are available to students in the Resource Center (Room 104) and the Third Floor Student Lounge.

Program Applications

Q. The program I am interested in has specific application requirements. How do I apply?
The Mountwest Advising Center does not have these applications. Student must contact:

The following program applications may be picked up in the Allied Health Office, Room 455:

  • Health Information Technician/Contact:  Janet Smith, 304-710-3516
  • Massage Therapy/Contact:  Mary Jo Perdue
  • Medical Assistant/Contact:  Kellie Cyrus, 304-710-3526
  • Pharmacy Technician/Contact:  Melissa Ballard, 304-710-3517
  • Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA)/Contact:  Travis Carlton, 304-710-3524
  • Veterinary Technology/Contact:  Janet Smith, 304-710-3516

Contact Collins Career Center at 740-867-6641 x400 to obtain an application for the following programs:

  • Radiologic Technology
  • Respiratory Therapy

Scheduling Classes

Q. Can I schedule my own classes?
Students who do not have 24 earned credit hours with Mountwest, nor those on academic probation, may not register themselves. These students need to meet with an advisor at the Student Services One-Stop, Room 101.

Students who have 24+ earned credit hours and are in good academic standing may register for Mountwest courses through myMCTC. Students with more than 24 credit hours that have questions regarding course selection should seek assistance from their faculty advisor and/or program coordinator.


Q. How do I apply?
Before you apply, first review the scholarship guidelines on the Current Scholarships page or download the Scholarship Guide. Then, complete our Online Scholarship Application.

Q. What information should I include in my essay?
First and foremost, your essay should be well-organized, focused, free of grammar and spelling mistakes, and no more than 500 words and address the topic:

“This scholarship will impact my life and help me reach my educational goals by…”

How you address that topic is really up to you and is determine by your individual situation. We can, however, offer some guidance on what prior applicants have included in their essays:

  • Experience as a first generation college student, single parent or caregiver for a disabled parent or spouse
  • Overcoming a learning disability, or physical/health challenges
  • Experience as a nontraditional learner
  • Service to our country as military reservist, National Guardsman or veteran
  • Description of school, volunteer and community activities

Q. May I apply for more than one scholarship?
Absolutely! However, students should only apply for scholarships for which they meet all of the specified criteria.

Q. How much are scholarship awards?
Sponsored scholarships range from $300 to $2,000 per semester, with most averaging $500. In most cases, sponsored scholarships are a one-time award.

Q. Who makes scholarship decisions?
Scholarship decisions are made by Mountwest’s Retention & Readmissions Committee, a group composed of faculty members and representatives from the Office of Student Services.

Q. When are scholarship decisions made?
Scholarship award decisions are made three to four weeks following the application deadline. The Retention & Readmissions Committee needs sufficient time to carefully review each application.

Q. How is my scholarship application package evaluated?
Your application package is evaluated on a set of criteria that includes:

  • Academic achievement and rigor
  • Essay content, organization and grammar
  • Financial need (when applicable)

Q. Will I be notified if I don’t receive a scholarship?
All applicants are notified by formal letter as to whether or not they are selected to receive a scholarship. We make every effort to notify all applicants in a timely manner.

Q. Why was I not selected to receive a scholarship?
Unfortunately, at this time we do not have enough scholarships for every applicant to receive an award. Also, if you do not meet specific eligibility requirements that many of our scholarships have, your application may be disqualified. We suggest that you review the requirements carefully prior to submission and contact the Office of Financial Aid at 304-710-3370 with any questions.

Q. When will I receive the money?
Typically, scholarship awards are disbursed as part of a student’s financial aid package during the first month of classes.

Self-Pace Classes

Q. What are self-pace courses?
A self-paced course allows a student to develop mastery of a specific subject at his or her own pace. While a self-paced course allows the student to make his or her own schedule, the student must be committed to completing the course by attending the Academic Skills Center for at least three (3) hours a week for a three credit hour class or four (4) hours a week for a four credit hour class. A self-paced course requires the student to follow the course syllabus and meet with an Academic Skills Center instructor to discuss areas that he or she is having difficulty mastering.

In a self-paced course, the primary learning relationship occurs between the computer and the student. The student’s interaction with the computer programs is vital to his or her understanding of the course material. The Academic Skills Center instructor’s primary task is to assist the student with questions he or she may have concerning course material, provide guidance, reference and tutorial assistance.

A self-paced course cannot be repeated. If a student fails to complete the course, he or she will be required to retake the course in a regular classroom setting if one is offered. A self-paced course is a credit/non-credit course. The student will receive credit upon completion and the course counts toward full-time status and financial aid eligibility.


Q. Is there bus service to the campus?
The Tri-State Transit Authority (TTA) services Mountwest with eight runs Monday through Thursday at 8:15 a.m., 9:15 a.m., 10:15 a.m., 12:45 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 4:45 p.m., 5:45 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. On Fridays, service is available during campus operating hours at 8:15 a.m., 9:15 a.m., 10:15 a.m. The bus drops off and picks up riders just outside the main doors of the campus building. For current schedule and fee information, visit

Q. How much does it cost to park on campus?
Parking on campus and at our Center for Culinary Arts and Inland Waterways Academy locations is free.

Q. Are there assigned parking spaces?
Aside from designated handicap spaces, parking at all Mountwest locations is available on a first-come, first-served basis. About 650 parking spaces are available.


Q. What is the tuition for a semester?
To view the current tuition rates and fees schedule, please visit the Tuition and Fees Section.


Q. I am struggling academically in one of my classes. Is there tutoring available?
Yes, the Mountwest Academic Skills Center study mentors and peer tutors offer academic support and organizational assistant in a wide variety of classes.

To request a 50-minute session with a study mentor or peer tutor, please stop by the Academic Skills Center, Room 103, and fill out a request form or contact the Coordinator of Peer Tutoring, LeAnne Olson.

Academic Skills Center hours are as follows:

8 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday-Thursday
8 a.m. – 11:45 p.m. Friday

Q. Are there any online tutoring options?
Yes, all students have access to Brainfuse, an online tutoring Web site through Blackboard. Click on the course and then click on Brainfuse HelpNow. You will be directed to Brainfuse’s website.

Weather-Related Delays or Cancellations

Q. How do I know if classes are cancelled due to the weather?
On those occasions when it is necessary to alter Mountwest’s schedule because of weather conditions, Mountwest will communicate closings, cancellations and delays through television and radio stations in Huntington and Charleston. Time permitting, Huntington and Charleston newspapers will be contacted.
Every effort will be made to notify all those affected as quickly and comprehensively as possible.

Q. Is there a way to receive notifications about MCTC delays and closings?
Yes, you may choose to sign-up to receive alert emails through Office 365. Login to your email account and click on settings button (it looks like a gear and is the in upper right hand section of your screen. Choose ‘options’ from the drop-down menu. Choose ‘groups’ from the left-hand menu. Choose join (it looks like two people with a plus sign) under ‘distribution groups I belong to.’ Scroll down to ‘MCTC Alert Notification Group’ and double click. Click the join button. You are now signed up to receive email alert notifications regarding MCTC delays and closings.

Q. If there is a two-hour delay how do I know when my classes are for that day?
Students should go to the class that would begin at the stated delay time or the class that would have convened within 30 minutes of the stated delay time. A two-hour delay means that classes that begin at 10:00 a.m. begin on time. Classes that begin at 9:30 a.m. meet at 10:00 a.m. and continue for the remaining period of that class. Classes that have a scheduled start time before 9:30 a.m. are cancelled for the day.


Q. How do I withdraw from a course?
Individual Full-Term Course Withdrawal:  The last date for withdrawal from individual full-term courses is the tenth Friday in a regular semester. Students wishing to withdraw from a class must complete a drop/add registration form, obtain the course instructor’s signature, and take the drop/add registration form to the Registration Office in the CTC building, room B5. Drop/add registration forms are available in the Mountwest Community and Technical College Advising Center office or the Mountwest Community and Technical College Registration Office.

Students on probation must obtain the signature of the Mountwest Community and Technical College Director or designee before taking the drop/add registration form to the Registration Office.
Students withdrawing from an individual full-term course receive a grade of “W” for the course. The “W” grade has no impact on your GPA. If you do not withdrawal from classes properly, you will receive grades of “F” at the end of the semester or term.

See the Schedule of Courses or myMCTC for exact withdrawal dates. See the Mountwest Community and Technical College Catalog for more information.

Q. How do I completely withdraw from Mountwest?

The last date for complete withdrawal from Mountwest Community and Technical College is the last day of class. Withdrawal from Mountwest Community and Technical College is defined as dropping all classes for which a student is registered. You must submit a withdrawal form to the Registrar or mail a request for withdrawal to the Registrar at:

Office of the Registrar
Mountwest Community & Technical College
One Mountwest Way | Room 101
Huntington, WV 25701

The effective date of withdrawal is the date that the withdrawal form is submitted to the Registrar. The postmark on mail requests is the official date of withdrawal.
Students withdrawing from the college receive a grade of “W” for all courses. The “W” grade has no impact on your GPA. If you do not withdrawal from classes properly, you will receive grades of “F” at the end of the semester or term.
See the Mountwest Community and Technical College Catalog for more information.

This site collects Cookie Data