The Accounting/Bookkeeping Certificate Program is designed to prepared students for entry-level positions in the accounting/bookkeeping field. The completion of the certificate program prepares students to work for CPA firms, corporate accounting departments, and small businesses. This would include clerical positions in specialized areas such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll, as well as any positions involved in the accounting functions of a business.
Students who successfully complete the certificate program will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Identify and describe the fundamental principles and practices of accounting;
- Apply fundamental accounting principles and practices to prepare common income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statement;
- Utilize microcomputer accounting software systems for the purpose of maintaining a general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll;
- Identify, describe, and prepare a variety of tax records and reports necessary to maintain a business and to meet local, state, and federal requirements;
- Develop and analyze accounting information for managerial planning and control;
- Complete computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, electronic mail, and the internet;
- Identify and apply the techniques of effective oral and written communication in a business setting;
- Perform business mathematical operations utilizing the calculator for computations.
|AC 103||Introduction to Accounting (EDGE)||3|
|ENL 111||Written Communication1||3|
|IT 101||Fundamentals of Computer (EDGE)||3|
|MAT 115||Business Mathematics2||3|
|MG 101||Introduction to Business (EDGE)||3|
|AC 201||Financial Accounting3||3|
|AC 221||Computerized Accounting4||3|
|FN 231||Business Finance6||3|
|IT 150||Applications to Spreadsheets7 (EDGE)||3|
1. ENL 111 has a prerequisite of ENL 095, or placement in 100-level English, and REA 098 or placement in 100-level reading.
2. MAT 115 has a prerequisite of MAT 096, or MAT 097 or placement in 100-level math.
3. AC 201 has a prerequisite of AC 103 or permission.
4. AC 221 has prerequisites of AC 103, AC 108 or AC 201 and IT 101.
5. AC 234 has a prerequisite of AC 201, or AC 103, or AC 108, or AC 215, or AC 216.
6. FN 231 has a prerequisite of AC 103, or AC 108, or AC 201.
7. IT 150 has a prerequisite of IT 101.